Many air leaks and drafts are easy to find because they are easy to feel. For instance, those spaces around doors and windows.
But holes hidden in attics, basements, and crawl spaces are much more difficult to find and are a bigger problem. Massive air leaks in the attic and insufficient attic and wall insulation are the primary reason a home is uncomfortable and has high heating and cooling costs. This air leakage occurs when air enters a house uncontrollably through cracks, gaps, and openings.
Typically this can be equal to leaving a large window wide open! Proper sealing of these cracks can make it feel more comfortable as well as saving you money on energy costs.
Just a few ways that we make sure that a home is air-sealed and properly ventilated are described below:
- Basement Rim Joist (Area between joists)
- Crawlspace (Area under floors in house without basement)
- Cold Overhangs (Common area for cold infiltration)
- Garage Ceiling/Bedroom Floor (Area above attached garage)
- Proper Ventilation (Required to increase life of materials and reduce mold/airborne pathogens)